Tuesday 7 June 2011

Boutique Garden For Less!

One of my favourite places to go and browse is a local nursery/gift shop.  It's absolutely gorgeous with many lovely imported antiques, mostly in French Country style.  It's a feast for the eyes in every way with lovely outdoor vignettes and delicious fragrance wafting from beautiful blooms.  *sigh*  I love it all but I don't love the high price tags.  I could easy take home one of everything from that place as it's all so lovely, but I can't, so I've come up with a great frugal alternative.

I browse the store and nursery for ideas and inspiration and then I hit the charity shops for some bargain pieces to work with.  For instance, this planter was a recent thrift store find.  I've seen something nearly identical (unplanted) at my favourite garden gift shop for $95.00!  I bought some sheet moss to line it (it doesn't grow here), then I planted some annuals in it.   All told, I spent about $20.00, but I could have made it for less if I had started the annuals from seed.   If I bought something similar from that boutique garden shop fully planted (and a little more mature), the price tag would have been close to $150.00!




Next time you are in your favourite garden shop, look closely at what you like and work to deconstruct it in your mind so you can find the pieces to make it yourself.  I've done that countless times and it usually turns out pretty well.  It's very satisfying to know that you can make your personal space more beautiful for a lot less money than you think.


1 comment:

  1. Sherri, you and I are so much alike....I do the same thing....I love walking around the nursery dreaming of all things I could have in my garden....but it certainly gives me good ideas for when I go to the thrift stores...love the plant stand...well done....

    ReplyDelete