Sunday 7 August 2011

Beans!




And so come the beans!  I harvested close to 12 lbs on Friday and got busy prepping them for storage.  Soaking, topping and tailing, snapping into bite size pieces, blanching, freezing and a little canning.  It was a busy couple of hours.




I've never canned beans before and wanted to try it.  I'm not sure I'm going to like the taste of them, and the color of them leaves a little to be desired....  but the advantage is that there is more room in the freezer for our fall pork and chicken order that is to come.  I really want to salt some beans and I'm still working on what to put them in.


The raspberry pie that I made the other day was really tasty and I had some raspberries left in the fridge that were going soft and juicy, so into pies they went!   Can we just for this weekend say that pie is a healthy breakfast and a decent lunch, plus a great side dish with supper?   Especially if served with natural vanilla ice cream - ah yes, that makes it very well balanced (fruit, dairy, grain).  *ahem*  :)

4 comments:

  1. The beans look so nice! The pies so good! And your canning supplies on the other post are so well-organized. yes....pies..and ice cream...good and healthy enough for me and my family! They look good like my grandma's! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm again quite impressed. I know that your organization comes from much experience over the years. I hope to be there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beans...If I was to top and tail that many beans I would be full, because I can't resist a freshly picked bean...so crisp, so yummy.
    Well done with all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andrea :)

    Yes, Rachael I have learned a lot over the years through trial and error. Believe me there was (and still is) a lot of error!!! I still have much to learn but gradually you figure out what works for you and your family. You will too!

    Nellymary, I ate a bushel of them, believe me!!!!! I love freshly picked beans and peas. Can't resist them!

    ReplyDelete