Wednesday 10 August 2011

The Garden Is Giving






After all the hours, days, weeks and months of me giving to the soil, seeds and plants, the garden is giving back.  Big time.  Oh yes, indeed.

I suspect it might have something to do with these little lovelies found in every fork full of soil turned over yesterday....



When we moved here, there was nothing but grass (mostly brown due to drought).  The soil was dead - no life in it whatsoever, not a worm to be found on the entire 2.5 acres (at any depth).  And so we set about to create a garden by first creating soil.  Soil is not dirt I've learned.  Dirt is dead, but soil... soil is alive with microbes and is teaming with visible life!

So, yes, right now.... the garden is giving generously to us and I am duly humbled at the power of good soil.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what you are harvesting...you capture your veg perfectly in these photos....I am desperate for soil at the moment, I have just planted lots of seed in punnets, hoping for my biggest crop yet.

    ReplyDelete